Gerald J. Stalun
Jerry Stalun is a senior investment and finance professional, having over 30 years of experience in the power, energy and infrastructure industry, with leadership roles of global teams in capital raising, principal investing in private equity, mezzanine and senior debt capital in domestic and international projects and companies.
- Principal, Solrene, LLC, strategic and financial consulting – power, energy and infrastructure
- Senior Director, Investments, Sol Systems, LLC, head of capital development
- Managing Director, Head of Global Power Investments, EIG Global Energy Partners, LLC
- Director, Head of Asset Based Investments, Arcapita, Inc.
- Senior Vice President, GE Energy Financial Services, Inc.
- Managing Director, Duke Energy Capital Partners, LLC
- Managing Director, Co-Head of Global Power Project Finance, Bank of America
- Vice President, JP Morgan Chase (First Chicago)
- Investment Manager, Prudential Capital
- Rotary Club International, Alexandria, VA
- Board of Elders, Old Presbyterian Meeting House
- Board Member (previous), KGen Power Corporation
- Board Member (previous), Kelson Energy
- Board Member (previous), Falcon Gas Storage Company
- Board Member (previous), Love, INC., Charlotte, NC
- Master of Business Administration, The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- Bachelor of Science, Accountancy, The University of Illinois, College of Business
- Certified Public Accountant, previous licensed in State of Illinois
Jerry R. Bloom
Jerry R. Bloom is a well-known energy professional with nearly 40 years’ experience in the energy sector throughout the United States and abroad. During his legal career, Jerry focused on policy and regulation, as well as the development and finance of fossil fuel and renewable energy projects. He has extensive experience in the negotiation of off-take and power purchase agreements; engineering, procurement, and construction contracts; operation and maintenance agreements; fuel supply agreements; syndication; and agency agreements. He also has played an integral role in policy developments in the power sector.
In recent years, Jerry has been an advisor and thought leader promoting the direct participation of commercial and industrial enterprises in the energy sector. He regularly appears before local, state, and federal regulatory bodies that oversee energy-related projects and the associated regulated and unregulated services. He holds board memberships on key renewable energy nonprofits, and is a frequent author and speaker on issues facing restructured and emerging markets and the independent power industry. Throughout his career, Jerry has helped clients and tax advisors navigate the complex issues associated with the taxation of energy projects and sites.
Business and Nonprofit Organization Experience
- Advisory and Executive Board Member, Cost Containment Advisors
- Business Renewables Center of the Rocky Mountain Institute
- Partner and Chairman, Energy, Project Development, and Project Finance Practice, Winston & Strawn LLP
- Clinton Global Initiative (America)
- Advisory Board Member, Solar Institute and Advisory Board for Planet Forward, George Washington University
Education, Associations, and Affiliations
- Juris Doctor, University of Miami School of Law
- Master of Arts, Counseling, George Washington University
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, George Washington University
- California, District of Columbia, New York, and Florida
Honors and Awards
- Tier 1 ranking, Chambers Global and Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America every year since 2012
- Chambers USA Award for Excellence for Client Service, Energy/Projects: Power (including Renewables), 2013
- “Southern California Super Lawyers” list, 2004-2013
- “Lawdragon 500: Leading Lawyers in America” list, 2001-2011
- Daily Journal’s Top 100 California Attorneys, 2008, and Top 25 Clean Tech Lawyers, 2011
Jeffrey S. Stein
Jeffrey Stein joins CCA with more than 27 years’ experience as a successful investment professional and corporate executive and director. Familiar with both the debt and equity asset classes, Jeffrey has substantial experience investing in the biotech, cable television, electric utility, energy and merchant power, environmental services, financial services, insurance, paper and forestry, real estate, retail, and shipping industries. He has held leadership and committee positions in both public and private companies.
Jeffrey currently serves as chairman of the board at one public company and has served on audit, compensation, corporate governance, finance, and risk committees. As an executive and director, he has supported companies through significant challenges, including financial restructuring, increased regulatory oversight, and emergence from bankruptcy. Jeffrey has actively participated in the restructuring of numerous companies both in and out of bankruptcy. His substantial transaction experience includes having served as director at several companies which sold at attractive prices, generating positive returns for investors.
Jeffrey has strong relationships with leading institutional investors and has developed a deep understanding of capital allocation and capital structure optimization, operating and financial performance, risk management, and investor communications. In addition, he has been actively involved in developing corporate strategy, evaluating corporate and asset financing alternatives, analyzing the costs and benefits of various capital investment programs, and assessing asset acquisition and disposition opportunities. As a result of this experience, Jeffrey offers a unique perspective as a member of the CCA board.
- Co-founder and Principal, Durham Asset Management, LLC
- Co-director of Research, The Delaware Bay Company, Inc.
- Associate/Assistant Vice President, Capital Preservation and Restructuring Group, Shearson Lehman Brothers
Public Company Board Experience
- Ambac Financial Group, Inc.
- Dynegy Inc.
- TORM plc
- Westmoreland Coal Company
- Master of Business Administration, New York University
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics, Brandeis University
Charles Rateliff retired in 2005 from Wal-Mart Stores as a Senior Vice President after a 25-year career. He was hired in 1979 as an Internal Auditor. Sam Walton identified Charles early on as a young man with tremendous potential. As a result, he allowed him to accumulate responsibilities quickly. Within five years, Charles was promoted to Treasurer. Over the course of the next 20 years, he was asked to either develop or restructure several divisions within Wal-Mart. These experiences required that he develop keen analytical skills as well as specific skill sets particular to each division.
Wal-Mart was not yet a $1 billion company when Charles joined in 1979. Upon his retirement in 2005, Wal-Mart sales were approaching $350 billion. During his career he held responsibilities for all the Benefit Plans (401k and Profit Sharing), Workers Compensation, General Liability, Property Insurance, the Self-Insured ERISA Health Plan, the Aviation Department (26 Lear jets and 85 pilots), the Travel Department (in-house commercial bookings of $40 million annually), Compliance, Food Safety, Risk Management, and Domestic and International Security.
The success of Wal-Mart allowed Charles to retire early and pursue his personal interests. He is currently very active in the Bentonville, Arkansas, area serving on several charity boards. In addition, he enjoys working on his real estate projects, consulting business and other investments.
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Board Member and Current Finance Chair, Northwest Arkansas Community Foundation
- 15-year Board Member, Cancer Challenge (raised over $8 million to fight cancer)
- Mayoral Appointment, Airport Advisory Board
- Literacy Council Tutor, Certified in ESL and ABL
- Team Guide, Influencers – Christian Men’s Bible Study
- Founding Support Member, Bentonville Boys and Girls Club
- Bentonville Schools Foundation Board (1991–2001)
- Boards/Coach, Little League/Babe Ruth League (1989–1999)
- Master of Business Administration, University of Arkansas
- Bachelor of Arts – Political Science, University of Arkansas
Alfred P. Colangelo
Alfred Colangelo is a senior financial executive with a demonstrated record of accomplishment in a dynamic, fast-paced, high-growth environment. Alfred significantly participated in the creation of United Rentals, Inc. (NYSE: URI), the largest equipment rental company in the world with revenues of $3.6 billion, 12,000 employees and 700 locations throughout North America. This growth was fueled by raising over $11.5 billion in debt and equity capital through public and private markets and by successfully completing and integrating over 250 acquisitions.
He has more than seven years of diverse public accounting experience with a global accounting firm. His experience and knowledge includes capital formation, mergers and acquisitions, managing Wall Street investment banking and credit agency relationships, and strategic planning and analysis. Alfred also has extensive knowledge of GAAP and SEC, internal controls, procedures and general accounting, Sarbanes Oxley compliance, commercial banking and treasury functions, income and property taxes, and risk management and internal audit.
- Vice President, Special Projects, United Rentals, Inc., Greenwich, Connecticut
- Vice President, Finance and Officer, United Rentals, Inc. Responsible for a broad range of financial, strategic and accounting matters.
- Vice President, Financial Reporting and Analysis, United Rentals, Inc. Responsible for all SEC and external reporting. Researched and implemented all significant and complex accounting pronouncements.
- Accounting and Auditing Manager, Deloitte & Touche, LLP, Stamford, Connecticut
- Advisory Board Member, Cost Containment Advisors, Greenwich, Connecticut
- Bachelor of Science – Public Accounting, Fordham University, Bronx, New York
Gregory A. Rider
Greg Rider brings nearly 40 years’ experience in investment banking, private equity, corporate development and industrial marketing to CCA. Throughout his career, he has advised public, private and public-sector clients on six continents in a wide range of financial and strategic matters and has been an investor in and director of numerous entrepreneurial concerns. He is currently the principal of Rider Global Advisors Ltd., a private advisory firm.
Previously, Greg was a senior managing director and the head of international equity capital markets at Bear Stearns, responsible for originating and managing global equity issues from Europe, Asia and Latin America. He was formerly in the equity capital markets group at Merrill Lynch, where he originated international equity issues from Latin America, including many of the landmark privatization-related global offerings of the 1990s. Prior to its parent’s acquisition by Merrill Lynch, he was the head of investment banking and a member of the management committee at Smith New Court, Inc.
Earlier, Greg advised on cross-border projects at Ocean Capital Corporation, a U.S.–Australian investment banking boutique, and also headed the firm’s private equity activities. He was formerly director of corporate development for the U.S. subsidiary of the Dutch energy, transportation and trading concern SHV, and an officer of three private-equity entities. Early in his career, Greg was the new-ventures assistant to a leading industrialist and was a sales manager overseas for five years with a Chicago-based industrial export management firm.
- Rider Global Advisors Ltd. – International Finance and Trade
- Bear Stearns & Co., Inc. – International Equity Capital Markets
- Merrill Lynch – Latin American Equity Capital Markets
- Smith New Court Inc. – International Equity Capital Markets, Latin American Investment Banking
- Ocean Capital Corporation – Investment Banking
- Ocean Ventures Management Inc. – Private Equity
- CVP I & II – Private Equity
- SHV North America Corporation – Corporate Development
- SHV Investment Fund – Private Equity
- McLean Securities Inc. – New Ventures Development
- Marshall International – Industrial Export Sales, Latin America and Australasia
- President and Director, The Circumnavigators Club Foundation, Inc.
- Strategic Partner, Greenwich Management Group, Inc.
- Master of Business Administration (high distinction), Harvard Business School
- Bachelor of Science – Foreign Service (magna cum laude), Georgetown University School of Foreign Service
James H. Martin
Jim Martin spent the first 20 years of his career as CEO of four different manufacturing companies across four industries including office products, wood products, kitchen and bathroom, and automotive.
In 2003, Jim established J. Harwood Martin LLC to develop and represent Chinese automotive components manufacturers within the North American automotive industry. Product categories include forge and cast aluminum wheels; injection molded and plated plastic nameplates, emblems and bright trim; plastic and aluminum-overlay wheel trim; shock absorbers; cast pistons; zinc and aluminum castings; and plastic injection mold tooling. His customer base includes General Motors, Ford and Chrysler, as well as Tier I Suppliers MANN+HUMMEL, Behr America, Valeo, Delphi, Key Plastics and Mark IV Automotive.
Jim’s extensive experience and far-reaching access to industry executives are valuable assets, offering the automobile sector the benefit of CCA’s skills in reducing significant fixed overhead expenses.
- Chief Executive Officer, Labelon Corporation (office products manufacturer)
- Owner and Chief Executive Officer, W.W. Babcock Co. (wood products manufacturer)
- Chief Executive Officer, Bloch Industries Inc. (kitchen and bath manufacturer)
- Chief Executive Officer, Livingston & Co. (automotive instrumentation manufacturer)
- Harwood Martin LLC (automotive manufacturers representative)
- Master of Business Administration, Harvard University
- Master of Science – Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Cornell University
- Bachelor of Science – Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Cornell University
Marshall Nadel joins Cost Containment Advisors after many years of experience in the power generation and utility industry as a leader in the property and casualty insurance field.
As a managing director and practice leader in the insurance brokerage industry, Marshall was recognized as a power generation industry expert with property insurance experience for all sources of power generation (coal, other fossil fuels, nuclear, renewable). He has worked with many of the leading names in power generation and was responsible for many innovations in that industry segment. His leadership and professional experience also have included serving as a representative for multiple associations and institutes in the power sector, addressing many conference and industry groups, and providing expert testimony.
Marshall brings CCA his expertise and contacts. His detailed knowledge of property valuation for insurance purposes will assist CCA in its benchmarking activities.
- Aon Risk Solutions and Aon Securities
- Marsh & McLennan
- US Navy, retired
- Power Broker, eight years, Risk & Insurance magazine
- Who’s Who in Energy
Affiliations and Licenses
- Society of Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriters (CPCU)
- American Nuclear Society
- Licensed property and casualty insurance broker/agent in 26 states
- NFA Series 3 securities license
- USO, Inc., Chairman, Central Region
- Master of Business Administration – Finance, DePaul University
- Bachelor of Science, US Naval Academy
Joseph C. Lane
Joseph Lane is an independent financial expert, with over 30 years of strong risk assessment, risk management and value based management skills. He comes to CCA with extensive global experience through international assignments, as well as leading very large project financings. He has in-depth financial and analytical skills gained through experience with large complex financial transactions, demanding considerable financial, legal and engineering experience.
Joseph has diverse industry experience specializing in the power industry, but going beyond power to include oil and gas, mining, airports, media and telecom, healthcare industries and various multinational companies.
- Financial and Energy Consultant, 1212 Partners, LLC
- Independent Director, Edgebrook Bank
- Independent Director, Piney Creek Inc.
- Independent Director, Artesia Capital Corporation, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Board Advisor and Consultant, Director, Marathon Capital
- Business Development Consultant, Accenture Corporation
- Managing Director, Global Integrated Energy Corporate Finance, Power and Infrastructure Group, ABN Amro Bank, N.V.
- Vice President, Head of Various Industry Groups and Various International Banking Positions, The First National Bank of Chicago
- Elected At-Large Board Member for five years, Electric Power Supply Association
- Cambridge Energy Research Association’s Global Power Forum, NY Independent Power Producers’ Association
- Guest Lecturer and Member of Kellogg’s Alumni Advisory Board, Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University
- Former Chair of Board of Trustees of Sacred Heart Schools, Sheridan Road
- President’s Council, Regis University
- Guest Lecturer, Kellogg and Northwestern Law Schools
- Center for Creative Management
- Master of Business Administration – Finance, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
- Bachelor of Arts – Philosophy, Regis College
Kevin Beierschmitt most recently served as Vice President of Finance at Alamosa PCS Holdings, Inc., Sprint’s largest affiliate. In his six years at Alamosa, Kevin was responsible for all financial analysis around capital deployment, purchasing, real estate, fixed assets, facilities and all matters related to network finance. Kevin also had lead responsibility for acquisitions and integration in the aforementioned fields.
Kevin had heavy involvement in due diligence related to the sale of Alamosa PCS for $3.4 billion. Prior to joining Alamosa, Kevin spent six years working for Southwestern Bell Wireless, holding several positions in the finance and accounting arena. Prior to Southwestern Bell Wireless, Kevin spent four years in public accounting. Primary responsibilities included auditing rural telephone cooperatives and their wireless subsidiaries. Kevin earned his B.B.A. in Finance from Texas A&M University, spent more than two years pursuing an electrical engineering degree and is a CPA.
Throughout Kevin’s tenure at Alamosa PCS, he had the opportunity to deal with property tax issues in 18 states. By understanding the tax laws in these states, technically understanding the assets and proactively managing this tax, Alamosa PCS was able to save millions of dollars in property tax. CCA was a valued consultant in this process, as Alamosa PCS was a client of the firm.
- Vice President of Finance, Alamosa PCS Holdings Inc.
- Financial Accounting, Southwestern Bell Wireless
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Texas A&M University
Philip Van Horn Gerdine
Philip Gerdine brings extensive experience in international business management to CCA, including company appraisals and valuations, structuring complex financial transactions, oversight of global corporate operations, and the development and application of business strategy. Although his primary focus in the last 20 years has been in the semiconductor industry, his experience within GE and Siemens has been varied in fields such as major appliances, battery manufacturing, large apparatus service, factory automation, power generation equipment, electron tube and capacitors, lighting fixtures and sources, chemical plants (Australia and Switzerland), airport construction in developing countries (Kazakhstan, Tajikistan), musical talent management, the movie industry, telecommunications, and the defense industries in the United States, Great Britain, Norway and Germany.
He was appointed by GE to manage a transition of a semiconductor company at the early venture stage to become the leader in its field and a Fortune 200 company today; he has served on its board for over 34 years.
- Corporate Strategy Advisor, Boston Consulting Group
- Manager, Acquisitions, PriceWaterhouse Coopers LLP
- Manager, Acquisitions and Divestitures, General Electric Company
- Vice President, General Electric Venture Capital Co.
- Executive Director, Mergers and Acquisitions, Siemens Aktiengesellschaft (Munich)
- Managing Director, The Plessey Company PLC (London)
- Adjunct Professor, Fordham University Graduate School
- Adjunct Professor in Finance, University of New Haven
- Applied Materials, Inc.
- Kulicke & Soffa Industries, Inc.
- Solectron Corporation
- S-Chip Semiconductor, Inc.
- Nuclepore Corporation
- Plessey Canada (1983) Ltd.
- Telmar Insurance Ltd. (Gibraltar)
- Powerex Corporation (venture among GE, Westinghouse and Mitsubishi)
- American Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Bachelor of Arts, Haverford College
- Master of Arts and Ph.D. – Clinical Psychology, Boston University Graduate School
- Master of Business Administration – International Finance, Boston University School of Management
- Certified Public Accountant, New York and Connecticut
- New York University Federal Tax Institute
Thomas C. Blum
Thomas Blum has 23 years of experience in investment banking and investments in private equity and venture capital opportunities. Mr. Blum spent 14 years in investment banking, where he was actively involved in mergers & acquisitions, IPOs, high-yield and investment-grade debt, and corporate advisory transactions for a wide range of insurance and specialty finance companies. During a portion of this time, he was based in Tokyo and oversaw the Salomon Brothers Japanese and Asian Financial Institutions’ activities.
Mr. Blum was a Managing Director in the private equity firm Columbia Financial Partners for three years, during which time he helped manage the reorganization and liquidation of ContiFinancial Corp., an $11 billion mortgage company.
In 2001, Mr. Blum founded and led Channel Capital LLC, which provided venture capital and financial advisory services to emerging companies. There he became an active angel investor, backing 11 companies.
Currently, Mr. Blum is a partner at G.C. Andersen Partners, LLC, a New York City–based boutique merchant bank that advises and invests in emerging growth and middle-market companies.
- Partner, G.C. Andersen Partners LLC
- Founder, Channel Capital, LLC
- Managing Director, Columbia Financial Partners
- Managing Director, Bear Stearns & Co.
- Vice President, Salomon Brothers Inc.
- Board of Directors, Landauer Metropolitan Inc.
- Board of Directors, MZM Imaging, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Interactive Frontiers, Inc.
- Board of Directors, SkyFuel Inc.
- Bachelor of Science – Engineering, Princeton University
- Master of Business Administration, Harvard Business School